Some Music Composing Person Some Music Composing Person

This is pretty nice. The build and release at 2:30 is definitely the highlight. I get some slight Vaughan Williams vibes from your strings starting at 1:37. I think you could have brought back the chimes at some point. Great work overall, I'll be following now.

Columbers responds:

Thanks for reviewing, glad you liked it! Sorry about the chimes, they weren't very important because they were mainly there to avoid getting bored; most people don't have the patience to listen to lots of long chords without any kind of melodic stuff going on.

Lyssa Lyssa

What a rush. I think you really nailed that gradual build of tension here. That technique of dropping the bar before a louder entrance (dropping the bass) works really well for hybrid orchestral, especially with the aptly placed electronic samples you've mixed. Even your main motif and underlying harmony isn't kitschy to my ears, which is hard to avoid in this style. Around 2 minutes is definitely the highlight for me. In other words this is fucking good.

I guess it's my turn again.

EvilRaccoon responds:

Thanks DS! Yes! Yes it is!

Spacial Reasoning Spacial Reasoning

This is dope. Crisp highs, deep lows, conservative but effective sampling. Keep it up man.

Boundless Boundless

You have a good ear for phrasing -- the tension builds and culminates into a flowing and adventurous melody -- I really like the progression from the piano, to the flute, to the heroic brass fanfare. The snare rhythm throughout has a great syncopation to it, and the combination of the chimes with the marching element does indeed bring back memories of old RPG's. I really enjoyed the layering of the brass over the woodwind melody, and the end is well constructed. Be careful about your attacks -- 1:13 is where you can hear the brass attack/release getting abruptly severed. There are other parts where this happens but I think the main culprit is the brass sample itself -- so really I have no real critique for your composition other than a few shortcomings in your software.

Great work overall. I'm impressed you continued even after losing half of the project -- so I commend you for pulling through. Keep it up.

stunkel responds:

Thank you for such a lengthy review! And I do really need some better software instruments -_- I'm glad you got that adventurous feel that I was going for! (SUCCESS ^_^) And the RPG comment you made is great too, I was trying to make it very video gamey. People said final fantasy I think? I have never played those games before... but based on how popular they are, I will take that as a compliment :D And I'm glad you liked the layering of the brass :D Really appreciate everything you mentioned... And yeah the brass software instruments really sucks. I noticed that, but I can't figure out how to fix it! And you are definitely right, it is most likely the sample.

And yeah I was really really annoyed when I lost the project DX I was worried that I was going to go into a phase where I just didn't want to make music for a while, but I just tried to push through it. Thanks again for the awesome review! :D

Limbic System(Doodle #10) Limbic System(Doodle #10)

This is sick, bro. ;)

Rainy Window Rainy Window

Reflective.

Everything after the 2 minute mark pretty much blew my mind. I know it's all relatively simple, but I love minimal escapes like this. You have a gift for phrasing and harmony with the right sources of inspiration. Reminds me a little of Joe Hisaishi's piano works.

Bristlestorm responds:

Thanks for the helpful review. I plan to work on getting to the exciting part a little sooner...

belle voyage belle voyage

Has that cinematic edge.

I hear some Vangelis in here, maybe some older synth superstars like Tangerine Dream, Kitaro, and Popol Vuh...The addition of a string voice was apt and helps carry the song into another phase. It's flowing and reminiscent of a streaming consciousness...there's a lot of overlap that provides for unique moments of harmony. Really does fit for a voyage. I like your play on the French as well. Hope to hear more from you.

Bristlestorm responds:

Hey thanks taking the time to review this one - I'll be looking up those names you mentioned. Hope to dig out some better orchestral sounds someday if I make more of these (suggestions?)

Accretion (2) Accretion (2)

Groovy.

Such a great collection of sounds here. I can definitely hear a human performance within the arrangement -- that is a type of creation that seems to elude many, especially when it comes to software. I noticed you mentioned the piano roll is your best friend and it shows here. The beat is great and the motifs blend seamlessly into one another. I'm thoroughly impressed.

Bristlestorm responds:

Thanks so much! A friend of mine wanted me to quantize the whole thing, but I thought what a shame.

Dizzy As Played By A Human Dizzy As Played By A Human

Screw zero bombers.

This is what I come here for...true expression, talent, and creativity. Anyone who can't appreciate this piece needs to breathe deeply and try again. I absolutely love minimal works like this, and I'm impressed you decided to go for a one-take recording. It's bold and might not be perfect but it's definitely in line with my aesthetic values. Seriously great work. There's an emotional resonance here that is unique and I encourage you to continue exploring it.

Afterfall responds:

Wow. Not entirely sure how to respond to this. But considering I am very proud of this piece of music, and that I love your music, this means quite a lot haha.

I will explore.

Kung Fu Lemon - Dark Matter Kung Fu Lemon - Dark Matter

Badass.

I wish I could critique it but it goes exactly how I want it to. Very ethereal and it takes on Vangelis-like qualities towards the end. I love it. I guess it is an ambient piece after all, but it only highlights what wide of a range you have in producing atmospheric sound worlds. Great work.

Afterfall responds:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm extremely inspired by Vangelis.. I listened to Antarctica on loop for hours on end as a kid.